Pages

The Rapid Decline of Social Graces

I don't know it is the summer weather or what but recently I have been noticing a definite lack of social graces. "Please" and "Thank You" are no longer staples, but have become wayside words. People want what they want and they want it now. No waiting patiently, no please and thank you, no nothing, just disrespect. People pull up to drive thru and holler hello before you even have a chance to reach for the talk button... It's very disconcerting. What happened to the the common courtesy people use to show to one another? What happened to tipping your hat at a lady when she walked by (I know guys don't wear hats as much....) What happened to saying please and thank you because you truly meant it? What happened to just plain being politeness? I don't know for sure what it's been replaced by. But personally, I don't like it, let's go back to the old way, the polite way. The way that makes other people feel appreciated and respected.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

amen! I personally, always try to smile at someone when I pass them. Maybe if we all start being nice others will follow?

Anonymous said...

I understand your feelings, Katie! I was at Wal-mart the other day and I practically got shoved through the line by the person behind me after I was done with my purchase. I barely had time to put my change back in my purse and grab my bags! Everyone is just so impatient!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Rachel Scott who said something about starting a chain reaction of kindness?? Maybe the Woodwarths should start one...I think with the 18 of us and whoever else, we could sure make a chain reaction...& a diference.