Pages

Praise the Lord!

So, since Tuesday afternoon I have felt at more peace and much more happy than I have in months! This past semester at school has been very rough. We got a new orchestra director and a new violin teacher. Well, I really enjoy working with the orchestra director but the violin teacher I wasn't sure about. You see, I've had 4 different teachers the past 4 years. That in itself was difficult. I only really learned from 2 of those teachers.

I've been very depressed this semester, I'm not at peace, really just miserable. I can't play very well anymore, all the confidence I had in my playing ability was gone. I don't know if this works with all musicians but without my confidence I am a nothing. The new teacher didn't suit very well. For some reason we didn't get along very well. I felt like my playing was getting worse not better. And I wasn't getting the help, with encouragement, that I need. I couldn't make myself not take lessons next semester, it didn't seem fair to not sign up for lessons.

I had been praying for about a month asking God what I should do, what do I do next semester, but I didn't have an answer...

So, after much anxiety I went in Tuesday morning for my jury; playing before a panel of music professors who judge your progress since last semester, it's part of your grade. Anyway I was playing something VERY simple. But I played it terribly, and I'm not just saying that, it was terrible. When I left I was very distraught and wanted to cry. I went to work and decided that I was done, I wasn't going to take lessons at the U next semester. I still wanted to cry, but I felt a little better. I finally had a chance to call mom and tell her what I had decided. She told me that she agreed with me and what God had been telling her about the situation. After I hung up with her I felt much, much better. I felt confident in my decision and that I had done the right thing.

Now, a little rabbit trail :) I had been listening to Timeless Treasures 2. Listening to the work I had done on it and wondering why I couldn't play like that anymore, what was wrong with me. It was a little hard to listen to, knowing I didn't sound like that anymore... now, mind you it's not perfect, nor was it easy to do, ask Dave, 100 and some takes on one song.... but it was possibly the best I've done and it was to God.

So, I went over to Mom and Dad's that evening for my hug :) I was telling Mom about my confidence and how it was gone and I needed it back. It's the one thing that I missed the most. And then she told me something that made a huge difference. She says that "the gifts and callings of God are without repentance". God doesn't take away a gift. And I realized that I had been scared, worried that it was gone, never to return. That maybe I had been brushed aside, not needed anymore. That God was done with my gift or just decided he didn't need it, and my ability to play was gone. But that's not true, it's still there, waiting for God's to use it. I just need to make it ready. It won't be easy, getting back the confidence I lost and once again having the ability to play, really play again. I miss it, I wasn't perfect, and I won't ever be perfect in my music. But as long as I am a ready and willing vessel God will use me, and the gift that he gave me is His to use as he sees fit.

So, with all that said, I just wanted to share the peace that God gave me and the story behind it. Hopefully now that I don't have all that on my mind, I'll have more time to post :)

For those of you who are wondering, yes I will still be doing orchestra at the U, I am also taking a conducting course, and possibly playing viola in a quartet, no I don't know how to play viola that's part of the fun of it :) As for lessons there is a lady that I took lessons from about 8 years ago and again this summer that said she would teach me again, at the expensive of her little time to herself. So, I am going to give her a call after the holidays and everything should be good again :)

It if you got through all that and understand what I was saying "bravo to you!"

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know it's too late to have an opinion, but I tried to tell you earlier and you didn't really want advice. So,here it is a little late. QUIT AMBER!! you know what I mean. she's a rotten teacher. and I feel like telling her that. any teacher that makes her students wonder if they should quit playing altogether shouldn't be teaching.

Lil red said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lil red said...

I understand your problem about not having confidence. I don't play the piano much in public, but I've found if I go to play the piano for people telling myself that I can't do it, or that I'm just not very good, I always end up sounding terrible. It's amazing how much confidence plays into performing! Even when I'm showing horses and I go into a class unconfident, me and my horse always do bad. But I found that if you just pretend that no one is watching/listening to you, it will help your preformance a lot.
I'm sure you've done this, but have you tried praying before you play your violin?
I'm glad you've found peace with your decision! Keep your chin up (I'm SURE your confidence will return!).
Oh and Katie, I KNOW you aren't a bad violinist! Really, I've heard you play before and it sounded amazing. So don't tear your self down by saying that your not a good player. ;)

Incomplete said...

Time for, as Jak would say, Incomplete's Soap Boxing:

A little secret to life: you don't NEED any outside encouragement from anyone. That is a bonus, a plus, special icing on the cake, (and it's very nice to have, I know) but it's not necessary for "a job well done." All that you need, is confidence in yourself (in Christ of course) and your own abillities, which involves realizing your own limitations.

You have to be able to stand in the face of adversity with the knowledge that you did the best job that you possibly could do.

How much time do you have for practice? Not structured, "I have to learn this piece for next Saturday" practice, but open ended, unstructured playing for the love of playing?

A verse came to me and I was just going to refer you to it but the commmentary was really good:

2Ti 1:6 ¶ Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
Adam Clarke's Commentary:
Verse 6. Stir up the gift of God, which is in thee] The gift which Timothy had received was the Holy Spirit; and through him, a particular power to preach and defend the truth. This gift is represented here, under the notion of a fire, which, if it be not frequently stirred up, and fresh fuel added to it, will go out. This is the precise idea which the apostle had in his mind; hence the term anazwpurein, which signifies to stir up the fire; to add fresh fuel to it. From this it plainly appears, that if Timothy had not continued to be a daily worker with God, he would have received the grace of God in vain. The Latins have a similar metaphor, excitare igniculos ingenii, to stir up the sparks of genius.

Read that chapter. See if that further encourages you.

Sorry for the monster long comment.

I love you. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.