Pages

Memorial Day and what it means to me


August 2nd, 2007, I walked through the gates of Arlington National Cemetery, walked up the hill and stood under a tree to watch the changing on the guard at The Tomb of the Unknowns I've wanted to watch go to Arlington for years. I've wanted to see the men who are given the great honor of guarding the tomb, their dedication and precision.

299 days later and 878 miles away I stood at work watching President Bush lay a wreath at the tomb. I've watched the President lay the wreath many, many times, but this time it was different. I had seen what President Bush saw. I felt the feeling that you get when you are at Arlington. I watched him walk up the steps to the Amphitheater to get an address. Then same steps I have stood on, and walked up only months earlier. And even more than ever I had an appreciation for the men and women who fight/fought/and gave their lives for our country.

I'm really not fond of this song, but I wanted to stand up and sing. "I'm proud to be an American for at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died and gave that right to me..."

0 comments: