Pages

So, I had the scare of my life!!

A few weeks ago, Mary S. dropped my violin off Iowa City/Coralville on her way to Des Monies. The violin was open and needed to be fixed, and my bow was in desperate need of rehair. It was done and ready to be picked up last Thursday. But, things have been crazy around here and we haven't had time. When I began to hear about the flooding in Cedar Rapids I got a little worried, but consoled myself with the fact that my violin was in Iowa City. Then yesterday I decided to ask Mom if she and Dad could take a detour on the way home from Champaign and pick my violin up. With all the crazy weather and flooding, I would feel better if I had it with me. Mom said "Sure, call Mr. Reck and make sue he's open tomorrow." Well.... all I got was a busy signal. Talk about starting to freak. Then Mary called, she had seen Mr. Reck's shop on the news, it was surrounded in water!
You can almost see it starting at 3:08, it's behind the green building, a few doors down from Subway.


So, I really started freaking out, in fact, I was about ready to cry! And I was at work, so there wasn't anything I could do, and I couldn't very well burst into tears at work! I resorted to, it's o.k. everything is fine, he wouldn't leave all the instruments in the shop at the mercy of the water, I trust him, everything is fine, AHH!!!!!!!!!

Then I had an idea, maybe my violin teacher had Mr. Reck's home phone number, granted, she is hard to get ahold of, but I thought, just maybe she would be home, school was out for the summer.... thankfully she was home. And she had called Reck's yesterday to check on the stuff she had down there. Everything was safe and had been moved to his house. *breathes sigh of relief* I can't imagine life without my violin, I mean, it is my life!!! So, anyway I'm breathing again :)

1 comments:

E of E said...

That could have been bad! Glad you still have your violin, I still have mine even though I never play anymore... It's on my list to get back to.

For a few months I was working in CR, kinda brings it home to hear that so-n-so is under water and know where that is, see a building under water on tv and remember eating there. Fortunetly the people I know from working there are ok, they all had houses on high ground.