Pages

Valentine Thoughts...

Today is Valentine's Day, or what we on IDD call Singles Awareness Day, and frankly it's one of my most dreaded days/times of the year. I don't know about you but I don't like VD and it's not just because I am single. Yes, all the love in the air and happy couples everywhere makes single people feel lonely, after all the holiday is all about love. Every year I spend Valentine's Day stressed out and lonely... why?? Well, I work at the DQ that my parents own, I am the main cake decorator. Over Valentine's Day we sell more cakes than any other time of the year. So after days on end of red and pink frosting, and piles of work to do, I'm stressed and exhausted and well... not someone you probably want to hang around :-) I decided once that I was going to figure out how many things there were that I could not like about Valentine's Day.

  • Red and pink everywhere! I mean honestly!! They don't even match!!
  • Hearts hanging everywhere, red lights, and lace, it can be a little overbearing!
  • Everyone running around looking for the special gift for their special someone.
  • And then there is the inevitable thought that I get home there is no roses, chocolate, and a special dinner waiting for me. Just a normal house and a stomach that needs to be fed.

Well.. and years of crummy and stressful Valentine's Days... I decided this year I would try something a little different. For starters I am trying to not dwell on the things that I don't like. I am concentrating on the things I can be thankful for!

  • That I am single and can serve God in the capacity I am in.
  • Sunday marks 364 wonderful days till Valentine's Day comes around again.
  • I'm making cinnamon bark with chocolate and cinnamon candies. YUMMY!
  • Hugs and "I love you's" from my younger siblings.
  • Chewy cinnamon hearts go on clearance!
  • I have extra help this year and I don't have to make and decorate over 100 cakes all by myself.
  • Beautiful roses, even if they aren't mine.
  • I'm even thankful that some shades of red and pink DO match :)
  • I'm thankful that today is Valentine's Day and that God loves me everyday.

0 comments: