Pages

a poem

I know I haven't posted anything personal-wise lately, I've been kinda busy, hopefully this weekend, I will time to post. For know here is a poem a friend of mine introduced me to today.


When I grow up

I want to live in a little yellow house

A tiny yellow house with bay windows and wood floors

And a clothes line even though it's not neccessary

And a fireplace that is used often in the the fall and winter

And the house has a garden over-run with rosemary and thyme and basil.

A garden with twinkle lights everywhere.

And sometimes I think that when I grow up

I want a husband who loves me

With a true heart

And who will cook with me using the herbs in our garden, while we talk openly, and kiss spontaneously, and laugh frequently

And when we do the dishes, we'll throw water at each other.

And we could read together in the evenings, sometimes out loud, in our library (which really was supposed to be a living room, but it's a small house and we just have too many books)

Maybe we'd even read a play or two out loud, just for fun

And we could pray together, about anything

And we could hold each other closely at night, and grow old together, and never stop loving each other.

And sure we'd fight, but we'd work through it together, because it'd be worth it to both of us.

And sometimes, when I think about when I grow up

I think about the children with rosy cheeks who catch lightning bugs in old glass jars in the summer time, and pretend they're faries.

And they will ask in awed whispers, how God paints the sunsets

And they will ask in voices far too loud, where babies come from

And they will run to me with arms outstretched

And I'll catch them and spin them in the garden

And sing to them at night

And make-up fairy tales exactly to their specifications

When I was little, and even not so little, thoughts of marriage and children made me feel a bit nauseous...and I've wondered what on earth is the matter with me.

Something's happened though, I think, something's changed. Now, though my mind does not often lend itself to thoughts of these things... whenever it does, I smile. biggrin.gif

~~ Katie Powell

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could have written this poem :) It's so beautiful. *sighs*
Mac

Rebecca said...

oh, that is beautiful... did a friend of your's write it? or just show it to you?

Anonymous said...

I need to pay attention to what I read better. I thought at the begining you said YOU wrote it! Needless to say I was amazed at your talent...
Nice poem though...
"And we could read together in the evenings, sometimes out loud, in our library (which really was supposed to be a living room, but it's a small house and we just have too many books)"
That is my dream home..
~Nack

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

The true wish of every girl. Though I would add a wrap around porch. Wow...
I also lke the part "And we could read together in the evenings, sometimes out loud, in our library (which really was supposed to be a living room, but it's a small house and we just have too many books)" But of course Debbie had to steal it...
Isn't it funny that we all live in the same house yet talk more to each other on our blogs?
:)
Lydia

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I love the poem.It's so beautiful. It makes me happy just to read it!
About the songs... If you look there is a little question mark to the right of each song. If you click on the question mark, it will take you to a radio.blog.club website (don't ask me what radio.blog.club is or what the club is about but,anyway..) and then at the top you just type in what song you want! If they have the song you are looking for they will give you the HTML code.You can also pick what color you want the song box to be which made me really happy :D I just copy and paste the HTML code. When you are signed onto your blog you can "add a page element" so that is what I do. I hope that helps!
In return...How did YOU get the Our Mutual Friend banner onto Lydie's blog? :D :)
Thanks!
Love you,
Merrill

Katie said...

A friend of mine showed it to me, I don't know where she originally got it...

No, I didn't write that, never in a million years. Yes Debbie, I thought of you when I read that part :)

Lydia, I agree, I LOVE wrap-around porches.

Robert said...

I enjoyed this poem.I liked the line "And a clothes line even though it's not neccessary" and the library in the livingroom.

Miss Deb said...

Sweet poem! I especially love the line "And when we do the dishes, we'll throw water at each other." I've always said I want a guy I can pillow fight with. Playfulness is a must :)

Actually, I DO live in a little yellow house with lots of books, a big garden, hardwood floors, and a bay window. Guess I already have the dream house. LOL.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet poem! I know I'd still love to have a brick house with the bay windows, definitely the wrap-around porch, big garden, and especially a window above the kitchen sink! :-)
But in the meantime, the Lord knows our hearts' desires and He provides what we need. And if we leave the choice with Him, He gives the very best! Even if it's not what we were hoping for at first, if we trust Him, we will never be disappointed!!! (and you will certainly have that husband who loves you with a true heart.) But don't let me get started... You'd have a very long post here!
Love you,
Kristi