Pages

My favorite places in Washington D.C. #2

Upon a February morn
A tiny baby boy was born
Abraham, Abraham

When he grew up this tiny babe

Folks all called him Honest Abe

Abraham, Abraham


In eighteen sixty, he became
The sixteenth president

And now he's in the hall of fame
A most respected gent


That's why we celebrate
This blessed February date

Abraham, Abra
ham


I figured since today was Abraham Lincoln's birthday I would honor him by posting about my favorite place in Washington D.C. We quite enjoyed standing there staring up at the huge impressive statue of Lincoln looking out over Capitol Hill.
We only had 45 minutes before our bus left. I could have stayed there for hours! The aura of the memorial is one of greatness, of hope, the ability and faith in which Lincoln governed America still lives on in his memorial. The sad part is, most people didn't realize it. There was a lot of noisy people who didn't bother to pay respect to a man who gave us the country we live in today. Let me tell you Mr. Lincoln, was a very intelligent man and he truly understood the situation that his country was going through. And how to fix it.
In fact after reading his 2nd Inaugural Address I would say he knew what was coming in the future as well.


2 comments:

DaveWick said...

I cannot help but respond with similar awe, even just reading your post and looking at the photos documenting the personage and words of this man who led the nation through what was called its darkest hour. Surely this man was called of God for that very hour, as just a few short years later a man of his principle would never stand a chance at gaining the presidency.

But also I cannot help but think of Christ and what he did for mankind, and my heart responds with such an awe of far greater magnitude that it brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. What a Savior Jesus is! I will praise Him, ever praise Him. He is mine and I am His!

Rebecca said...

I tag you