Pages

My favorite places in Washington D.C.

I've been thinking a lot recently about our trip to Washington D.C. this summer. We only spent 2 days in D.C. but they were unforgettable and I have to remind myself that it was only 2 days. I've been thinking about the things that the buildings and memorials represent. About the different impressions that each place gives. Anyway the next couple of posts will be my favorite place in D.C.

The National Archives of the United States of America

It was really great that we were able to actually to the National Archives. We knew we wouldn't have time to go EVERYWHERE we were hoping too. And the Archives wasn't exactly top of the list. But thankfully, we got done at the Air and Space Museum with time to spare. I sat down and pulled out a National Museum's Map to see what was nearby. I noticed the Archives was on the map and after just a second of looking I realized it was only a couple blocks away!! I quickly showed mom and she said "Ask Dad." So, I did. Only a few blocks we can definitely do! I was so excited! And yes the inside looks the same as it does in National Treasure 1, just not as bright :) We couldn't take pictures. But to see the Declaration and the Constitution. To see, John Hancock's signature and the paper that declared out freedom from England and the setting up of our democratic nation. The Constitution in all it's glory. One of the original Magna Carta's, a document that is over 700 years old. Sometimes the original Emancipation Proclamation is displayed, but only, I believe, for 4 days a year.
Luckily for us they have recently opened the "Public Vault" a exhibit that contains information on how people use the archives to locate family, how the documents are restored and maintained. Video footage of President Theodore Roosevelt. It was amazing! All in all, it was one of the most informative, places we were able to visit. That and the Treasures of American History display at the Air and Space Museum. We got to see a real Stradivarius violin. Washington's uniform, Mary-Todd Lincoln's Inaugural Ball Gown, Polio Vaccine, Mr. Roger's Red Sweater, even the chairs Grant and Lee sat in at Appomattox Courthouse. WOW! It's absolutely worth seeing. At least check it out online at http://americanhistory.si.edu/index.cfm

1 comments:

Valerie said...

I LOVE the National Archives! The was definitely one of my favorite places. But then, I can't think of any I didn't like...